Saturday, November 3, 2007

Road Trip to Del Rio

My brother Davy is in Del Rio, Texas this week fishing with his buddy Darrel. We hit the road last night for the 4 hour drive down there so we could see him while he's this close (as opposed to the 13 hours he lives from us!). We arrived too late last night to visit with him then so we waited until this morning. I called him at 7:30 (yes, 7:30 on a SATURDAY morning!-isn't that what little sisters are for???) and asked him if he was ready for breakfast. We headed over to the RV park where Darrel is the new owner of an rv permanently parked in Del Rio. Darrel also lives in West Plains and although I didn't know him before this trip, I do know several of his relatives in W.P. and he and his family attend church with Davy and my sister Regina. After visiting for a while with Darrel and Davy, we took Davy to a nearby IHOP for breakfast while we discussed how we'd spend our day.



Since Darrel was spending the day doing laundry and getting to know his new neighbors, a boat ride on Lake Amistad wasn't an option. So we decided to head across the border into Ciudad Acuna, Mexico to do some shopping. This was our first trip to Mexico, but Davy's second. He'd gone last week for dinner. Davy, who never goes ANYWHERE, beat me to Mexico! And I LIVE this close and had never been....not to mention the number of years I lived in Arizona and never crossed the border then either. Oh well. I guess as the oldest, he's entitled to some "firsts."





Last year, Marty spent 3 weeks in Del Rio building this Ranger Boats building. He's always liked showing me the job sites he's worked on and probably never thought I'd get to see this one.





Breakfast at Ihop. Davy looks ready to greet the day, but Heather looks like she's ready to crawl back into bed!




Heather, being a "Matador" found a site that made her feel right at home!





Marty and Davy catching up on our walk across the border.







Davy and me.






After seeing this long line of cars waiting to get into the US, we were very glad we'd decided to walk!






Scene from behind the fence, crossing the border.




The first street we began browsing shops.




There were so many shops filled with pottery, glassware, and blankets!




I got such a kick out of the vendors in this store. They were very funny. After our purchases were made, this one was determined (unsuccesfully) to sell Marty and Heather a hammock.




Heather was very amused with this street vendor trying to sell her a Mickey Mouse toy.





Heather tried on hats in several shops and happily posed for pictures.







She even convinced Uncle Davy to try one on!





On our way back into Del Rio, the guys carrying our new purchases.



Tomorrow....Lake Amistad pictures.......






3 comments:

E @ Scottsville said...

I've been to Mexico a few tims, and it's always fun as they try and sell you anything and everything. Someday I'll have to take Jason. He and the kids have never been. Looks like y'all had fun. =0)

Tammy said...

In that case....let's plan a ROAD TRIP and go back! What fun we'd all have!

Anonymous said...

HEATHER-- I LIKE THE GREEN COWBOY HAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT TO GO TO MEXICO...................... I THINK...........

Pages

Pages - Menu