Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blessings in Tragedies

There are times it is very difficult to remember this Biblical passage:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
(Romans 8:28 NIV)


During times of tragedy and loss, it is especially hard to remember that. I do know through personal experience this is true, although at times it takes a while to see the good. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer, at the time I could not see what good could come of his fatal disease. Now that time has passed and we've come through that horrible time, we can look back and see that God did work even that for the good. My dad made a profession of faith during that time and I know his home is in Heaven with Jesus.


Three years ago my sister lost her home and all its contents to a fire. She, her husband and my niece and nephew were devestated, but so very thankful the kids made it out without harm. They found one or two items they salvaged from the fire: figurines that still show the stains of soot. My nephew had been given my dad's Bible and after the fire he found pieces of the pages and cover. He proudly saves those pieces in a shoe box in his room. My sister looks back now and can see some good that came from that tragedy. I admire that she can. I simply cannot imagine being in her shoes and losing all my possessions and one day even finding thankfulness in the circumstances. She has no doubts that God has shown her the good that has come from that time.


Yesterday my neighbor lost her home and all her possessions in a fire. 3 years ago her husband died. She is a young woman, probably in her twenties. God has placed her on my heart. I don't believe she knows the Lord as her savior. My prayer is that through this tragedy she will find Him. If God can use me as a tool for showing her the way, I hope He will and that I won't let Him down. I feel as if I already have because I gave up on this woman when He sent her my way once before. Pray for wisdom for me as I reach out to this young woman. Pray for God's peace and comfort and strength for this woman as she copes with what she's lost. Pray through this loss, she will find God's greatest gift.



The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a couple of years in my life like your neighbor is in the midst of now, when I was in my 30s. It was then that I saw God most clearly. Good indeed does comes from the darkest corners of tragedy. I never believed it until it happened to me.

I love your photos BTW. Will you email me?

Anonymous said...

I WILL KEEP U AND UR NEIGHBOR IN MY PRAYERS!!!!! LOVE U

Anonymous said...

I honestly can not even wrap my mind around loosing my Husband. or my house.

your scripture is right on target.

Here is what I thought of when I read about your neighbor.

The scripture... can't remember where it's found but "the Lord is a strong tower and the righteouss run into and are safe."

If your friend doesn't know the Lord then she doesn't know where to run.

i will join you in prayer.

Pages

Pages - Menu