Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Levi

My plan is to introduce you to my siblings, one at a time. I'm even planning to introduce you to them in age order, from youngest to oldest. I introduced you to Lacey first. But I wasn't quite ready to introduce you to Levi. Thinking about and remembering what Levi was breaks my heart.

Levi was born just before I turned 12. I was so excited throughout Mom's pregnancy, just knowing she was going to have a brand new baby sister. I wasn't crazy about the younger sister I had. She was only a year younger than me and we fought a lot. I loved kids and couldn't wait for this one's arrival! I remember the night he was born. Dad took my brother, my sister and I to stay with a neighbor when Mom went into labor. I remember driving down the long hill of their driveway and looking at the moon. There was such a beautiful halo around the moon that night. When we woke the next morning it was to the news we had a new baby brother. I was never even disappointed he wasn't the baby sister I'd dreamed of! We've never run so fast across that field to get back home and meet him. He was born at home so we each were able to hold him before heading off to school. Our grins were so huge when we got on the school bus that the bus driver didn't even have to guess what had happened at our house!

Levi was a cranky baby and I remember getting up in the night sometimes to rock him so Mom could go to bed. Usually she'd send me back to bed, reminding me I had school the next day, but other times she'd let me hold him and she'd try to get some rest. I can't explain the bond that formed between Levi and me, but it was the greatest feeling I'd experienced and I absolutely LOVED being his big sister. He referred to me as his "Sissy" when he learned to talk and he loved going places with me. One day when Levi was about 3, my sister Regina and I left with Grandpa to go to my Uncle Joe's in Arkansas to help him dig potatoes (or maybe it was to plant potatoes???). Later Mom said she began searching and searching for Levi and finally found him walking down the dirt road that lies across the highway from Mom's (1/4 mile-long) driveway. When she found him she said he simply said, "I'm going with "Sissy".

Another day, Levi really wanted to go fishing in Granpa's pond. I liked fishing ok, so long as there was someone around to bait the hook ('cause I'm not touching a worm!!!) and to retrieve any fish from the pole. That day it was just Levi and me. I made a deal with him. I'd take him fishing if he'd take the fish off the hook and if we could try to fish with the leftover tuna-mac from lunch. He agreed. We walked to Grandpa's, grabbed 2 cane poles hanging in the shop, and headed to the nearest pond. We caught 5 catfish!!! He was so proud! To this day I remind him that I took him fishing and what a huge deal that was because now I can't stand fishing. (Doesn't that sound like something a sister would hold over your head???)

I miss the bond we used to share. The year my dad was diagnosed with cancer, Levi (at age 15) turned to a life of alcohol and drugs. He's now a meth addict. He's 24 years old and doesn't know a life outside of those things. He sits in a prison cell for the next few months, waiting to be transferred to a long term rehabillitation center. I still hold out hope that he will be ok. I have to leave Him in God's hands because that's where we've placed him. He's been through one rehab program that lasted about 30 days. Things seemed to be really turning around for him, but it was very short-lived. I can only hope and continue to pray this time will be different...


I almost didn't do this post yet, but when I began searching through pictures trying to decide what to post, I ran across this picture. It's always been one of my favorites. I don't remember how old he was here, but I've always loved the goofy grin on his face as he digs into the cereal:


This was taken on a camping trip in Arkansas. I'm on the left (about age 14), Mom's in the middle, and Levi's on the right:

The summer I was 15 Mom, Grandma, Regina, Levi, Lacey and I all took a bus to Virginia Beach to visit relatives. Here Regina and I are playing in the waves with Levi:

Levi at the fair. He loves motorcycles!

Levi in front of a tree by Grandpa's house:


I made these shorts for Levi. I had made a pair for myself and he begged me to make a pair for him too, so I did. He was very proud of them:

When I was in Missouri for Thanksgiving last year, Levi was allowed a one day visit with family during his rehab. Here he is (on the left) with my other brother Davy.

My sister Regina (on the left), with Levi and me:

Levi and me the last time I saw him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammy, this is so sad. It tears at my heart since I know the story. I'm so, so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I GOT TO TALK TO LEVI AGAIN THE OTHER NIGHT AND HE SOUNDS LIKE HE'S DOING OK. KEEP HIM IN UR PRAYERS I THINK HE WILL COME AROUND THIS TIME--I PRAY!!!! HE WAS CUTE WASN'T HE????

Anonymous said...

veryone needs to hold on to hope that he well see what he has around him.bobby and i still have hope

Anonymous said...

I hope you dont mind, but I printed this off, Im going to send it to Levi, It cant hurt, maybe it will get through to him. I pray for him daily as I know you do. I love you and thank you for all you do MOM

Pages

Pages - Menu