Thursday, October 18, 2007

You Gotta Laugh!

Marty called me at work a few days ago to tell me he'd bought me a car. I said, "What? What kind of car?" Apparently his boss' brother had bought an old car, repaired it and was selling it. Cheap. And it's supposed to get good gas mileage....as opposed to the gas guzzler I now drive. And since I live about 12 miles from town and make at least 2 trips to town and back every day, that gas guzzler is costing more than I want to spend to drive! Part of me was afraid of what I'd find when I drove into town to look at the car. I didn't know whether to expect a multi-color car with dents and dings, headliner hanging down, bald tires, torn seats, etc. I was prepared for the worst, especially for the price he paid. But I kept telling myself, "it's a means to an end. It's temporary then you can hand the car over to Heather. It won't matter if it's ugly, Heather can still learn to drive in it." You get the idea.



You'll have to wait until tomorrow for me to post a picture of it. It's too dark outside to get one. But, it's not near as bad as what I'd pictured. It's dirty and needs cleaned up and there are a couple of small tears in the front seats but the back seats look great. It's a small 4 door car, a Chevy Corsica. And it's RED!!!! I love red!!! (Well, it's more burgandy...but still that's almost red!) And there are several things I'll have to get used to doing without....like my cd player, my tape player, my temperature guage, my compass, my power windows and power seats.....I think I was spoiled! I think I will miss my cd player the most! I really can't stand commercials on radio stations and am constantly changing stations when a commercial does air, so I mostly listen to cd's. I guess I won't be in this car. I think Heather has a bet going to see how long before I buy a new stereo for the car! I'm sure she's hoping it happens before the car is hers!

I drove into town today to pick up the car and take it to get inspected. It smells like it's overheating and the driver's window has serious issues when you roll it down. It's very hard to roll back up because it jumps out of its track. This is going to make drive thru very interesting!

Before heading to another side job to help our friend Billy with his garage, Marty drove over to the high school to check on the car because I'd told him it was getting hot and smelled like it was overheating. He said the fluids look fine, to just keep an eye on it when I drive it again. Okey dokey!

I worked at the concession stand tonight for a football game so it was dark when Heather and I headed out again. Note to self: when driving an unfamiliar car....familiarize yourself with where everything is BEFORE it gets dark!!! But it did make for a funny drive home. The first thing Heather did was to pull out the cup holder that's a tray that slides out of the dash. And it promplty fell out of the dash and into her hand. She said, "Turn on the lights so I can see how to put it back." Of course I had to find the light switch first! Then the dome light inside was burned out so it still didn't help her see very well. She finally managed to get it put back together. Then she wanted to go through drive through.
Me: "Can't."
Heather: "Why?"
Me: "Because the window doesn't roll up once it's rolled down."
At this point Heather is not very thrilled that in a few months this will be her car!
We finally get moving down the road and I called Marty to let him know we were heading out. I then called him again to tell him I have to stop for gas because the gas gauge began dropping very quickly and it was sitting on E, whereas when I began I had a half a tank! I called him right back to let him know the headlights went out and would only come on when the brights were on. At this point Heather and I were laughing so hard at everything going wrong, and wondering "what next??" At least we found it funny and could laugh at the situation. What else can you do?

Once we arrived home Marty said, "let's go back into town and get your Suburban (where I'd left it temporarily) so you can PARK this car until I can fix it." I just laughed and said, "we can go get the Suburban and bring it home, but I'm still going to drive this car. I'm tired of putting gas in the other one!" He did figure out a way to get the lights to come on and we headed back into town. I hopped in the driver's seat and he proceeded to crawl into the passenger seat. He made a comment about not planning to ever ride in "this sardine can" and pulled out the cup holder to put his soda in. Of course it pulled all the way out and fell. I cracked up and I'm sure despite the darkness of the interior I saw him look at me like I'd lost my marbles!




__________________________________________________



As promised here are pictures of the new-to-me car. Our cat George has already laid claim to the hood. Or course he jumped off as soon as I went outside. Cheap car.....or expensive cat bed???






4 comments:

E @ Scottsville said...

Do you know how weird it is to see our truck in YOUR pics? ha ha ha

Hey, its not a bad little car and I'm glad you stopped by and showed me yesterday. It's gonna help you save up money for your COOLER CAR! =0)

busysingersmom said...

I totally sympathize about the cat....

Tammy said...

Erica, I wondered when I posted the pictures if my family would think we'd bought a new truck as well....but then realized if they'll think about it they'll know Marty wouldn't buy one with that little Ford emblem on it! He's a Chevy man through and through! :0)

Anonymous said...

CUTE CAR!!! DUCT TAPE THE CUP HOLDER!!!!!! (USE CAMO DUCT TAPE LOOKS BETTER :)

Pages

Pages - Menu