Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Arizona (continued)

I began telling you about my move to Arizona here. I look back now and still remember that time as being full of excitement, fun, and close friends who still mean a lot to us.

The night I met Marty, I also met his friend Garth, who we knew then as "Tree." The man is 6'4" (or is it 6'6"???) so I can only assume that's why he was called Tree. Marty lived upstairs from the apartment where the party was we'd been invited to. Those throwing the party were Tom and Frank and they were celebrating Tom's birthday. All these guys and many more we met were friends of Marty's through school. They were attending the Automotive campus of the tech school Dar and I were attending. (Dar and I attended the graphic design campus 11 blocks away from the main campus.)

One of the dates Marty and I went on was to a nearby roller skating rink. We were skating around when we noticed a guy in a cap that said "Wyoming" across the front. Marty's from Wyoming so this got his attention quickly. Marty went up to him and said, "You from Wyoming?" That's all it took. The conversation poured. Tron and Ed (his cousin) were from Laramie, Wyoming and Marty from Torrington. We learned that Tron and Ed were also enrolled in the same tech school as Marty. Tron invited Marty and me to go 4-wheelin' out in the desert with him the next day. We agreed that it sounded like fun. I think that's the first and last time I've been 4-wheelin'. It was fun for the most part but I'm sure I saw my life flash before my eyes a few times as he'd race up the hills and I was sure he was going to tip his truck over before we headed back down! I later learned to just brace myself whenever riding with Tron anywhere! He still carries the honor of the scariest driver we know! Just buckle up and hold on when Tron's in the driver's seat!

As new friendships were formed most weekends were spent with all of us hanging out somewhere together: Marty, me, Dar, Tree, Tron, Tom and Frank (sometimes Ed, Adrian and others would join us too). The only married couple in the group were Jim and Joyce and I can't remember exactly how we met them. I think Jim and Tron were buddies but I'm not sure. We were a scattered bunch with Dar and me from Missori; Marty, Tron and Ed from Wyoming; Tree from Portland, Oregon; Tom and Frank from Eugene and Cresswell, Oregon; Adrian from Mountain Home, Idaho; and Jim and Joyce from Colorado Springs, Colorado.
While we were all in school, bonds were formed that still exist today. Tree was the best man when we married and Dar was my maid of honor. Although we've lost touch with most we still keep in touch with a few and email has made that easier. Tree is the only one I know of still in Arizona. We still email from time to time and still send him Christmas cards. He has a 10-yeard old son we've never met. Tron is back in Wyoming with his family. We haven't seen him since Heather was 2 years old and he has 2 children we've never met. We call every year or two and send Christmas cards. Dar and I still email fairly regulary and call every few months, or try to. No matter how much time has passed between conversations, it's as if no time has passed.
As I'm writing this I've just received an email forward from Tree so I asked him how we met Jim and Joyce. Here's his reply: "we met jim and his big ugly dodge at school!"

For all these guys it was all about their cars (or their trucks)! Tree had a 64 1/2 Mustang. Marty and I had a '67 Firebird (well....it was half Firebird half Camaro -- front end was Camaro, back end was Firebird). The guys at school called it our "Chevyac" or "Fire Chicken". But oh could that car MOVE! Marty says I had way too much fun driving that car! He claims he couldn't keep tires on it....guilty as charged.... Tron's a Ford man and had a Ford truck for 4-wheelin' and had a Thunderbird for crusing in. Either one was a scary ride! Jim was a mopar man and did have a big ugly truck. (Sorry Jim!)

I think they let me hang out with them because they liked my tea and the no bake cookies I'd make for Marty!




Here's our '67 Firebird. I couldn't find a better picture yet.



Ed, Me, and Tron at our Graduation!






I worked at Sears for a while in the childrens clothing department. The Phoenix Suns Gorilla made an appearance one day to help sell some Suns Tshirts. Spurs fans: please don't hold this against me!!!



Whereas now our hang out spot is Kirby's Korner....back then our diner of choice was the 5 & Diner. I always thought it was cool that it was on Missouri Avenue!





I don't have a lot of photos of myself from back then, unless they look like this one. Marty doesn't pick up the camera often, but when he does this is what he takes pictures of!


This was our cat "Sox". Yes, we were creative, weren't we?









Frank and "Lucifer". Frank, Tom and Lucifer lived downstairs from us when we lived in the apartment complex near the school.






Jim. I don't have a picture of his truck. I wish I had a photo of the day he dumped it in the river and had to be towed out!!!





Tree and Tron the day Marty and I got married.





Marty and me...way back when.








Dar and me being goofy in a mall photo booth.




Playing in the Verde River in Tron's truck. Marty's standing in the back.





Tron's car. I'm telling you some of my scariest moments were in this car!






Tom.






Tron's apartment where we'd hang out and play sand volleyball. Even when I was pregnant! What fun we all had!





Where we went to the movies. We could always scrape up enough money to go to the dollar movies. This one was located in the same center as my school. I remember one night after class I thought I'd lost my mind because I couldn't find my car! I finally found it over next to the theatre and could not remember parking it there! I was about to drive off when I found a note on the windshield that said "Gotcha!" Frank and Tron had skipped school and pushed my car across the parking lot and then went to the movies. I'm so glad they were still in the movie and didn't see me trying to find my car!!!







Dar with Heather just before we moved to Wyoming. She'd brought Heather some warm jammies to keep her warm in cold Wyoming!





The house we lived in after Heather was born. I STILL love that house!!!






The view from our back yard.






Heather and I with Snoopy at a park Dar and I used to live near and go to swing.

3 comments:

busysingersmom said...

I like reading about your younger days! You are inspiring me to drag out some of my old photos and scan them!
I also like the fact that you used to take pictures of the sunset even way back when!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

YEP I THINK WE WOULD OF HAD MORE FUN TOGETHER IF THERE WASNT SO MANY YEARS BETEWEEN US (NOT THAT WE HAVE NOT HAD FUN TOGETHER) ASK MOM HOW MANY LATE NIGHTS I CALLED HER TO TELL HER IM NOT GOING TO MAKE IT HOME BY CERFEW CAUSE SO-AND-SO HAS THE TRUCK STUCK IN THE MUD AND I AINT SWIMMING!!!!!!!! HEY IF U WANT TO US GIRLS CAN GO 'MUDDIN' WHEN U COME HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy said...

Suzanne, I'm glad I'm not boring you! I knew Tree and Dar would get a kick out of these posts but not sure about anyone else. Wait till I post my "Bonnie and Clyde" story! Just still trying to find the right pictures...

Pages

Pages - Menu