Saturday, September 15, 2007

Another Great Night for Riding




Marty worked all day and planned to work until dark on a friend's barn. I tried to talk him into knocking off early but he said he had to get it done and not to count on seeing him until after dark. He agreed we'd go riding again when he did get home. I had a full day so was so busy I didn't have time to dwell on his long day. I picked up my friend Paula so we could go shopping for some supplies for our Sunday School class. Later in the afternoon I dropped her back off at home and headed to the bowling alley to wish Mathew a Happy 16th Birthday. Afterward I came home and took a quick nap before getting ready to go out with Marty for dinner. When I woke he was already home! He did knock off early! We decided even though we were tired we still wanted to go for another ride while the evenings are still so nice. We got a later start than yesterday so we missed any spectacular sky that may have been visible. However, apparently we also missed some rain for as we headed toward town we splashed through some wet pavement. I was a little nervous about my camera in case it rained more. But I needn't have worried because we saw no rain.




This weekend made me realize how much I'd missed riding with Marty. We just seldom take the bike when we go anywhere anymore. He rides every single day, as the bike is his mode of tranpsortation to and from work. When we go places, it's typically all three of us so we take my suburban. I guess Marty and I just don't go by ourselves much!
As we were cruising around tonight I began to remember when we were dating and would ride together all the time in and around Phoenix, Arizona. Back then he had a 1985 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (or 700???). He bought it in 1990, a few weeks before he bought my engagement ring. After he bought it he used to pick me up at the mall where I worked every day so I wouldn't have to ride the bus. There were many late night rides like we've taken this weekend, just out enjoying the ride and enjoying the nice weather. I remember one occasion we were on that bike off and on all day, for a total of 11 hours. We rode from Phoenix up to Mt. Pleasant to the lake and then back again and headed to Metro Center to play at Golf & Stuff. Then we cruised up Central Ave. to South Mountain to look at the stars and the city lights from above the city. From there is the most beautiful view of "the Valley of the Sun." I don't have any pictures I've taken from up there at night, but it is awesome! The ride up was a little hair-raising with the twists and turns up the mountain with cars tailgating right behind us. We didn't have that bike long before it was stolen, never to be found again. He was without a motorcylce from then until 2002 when he bought the Vulcan he now drives. When Heather graduates and we get out of debt he wants to buy a cruiser like a Goldwing. Someday....

No comments:

Pages

Pages - Menu