Thursday, July 30, 2009

My First Canoe Trip

From the time I was 8 years old until I was 18, I spent part of every summer at Hammond Mill Camp...either at 4-H camp, White Oak Camp, Dow Camp, or Bible Camp (am I forgetting any of them???) My mom was a stay at home mom, but cooked for camps and reunions all summer long and often we were able to attend with her. Most of those camps included a time slot each day for canoeing. Granted, you could only paddle so far upstream and then back down again in a very short distance but most thought it was great fun! Until my high school reunion in Missouri last week, that was the only canoeing I'd ever done.

I was so looking forward to the planned canoe trip with my classmates! My husband Marty had canoed before, but we'd never been together. I tried to convince my daughter to go as well but she wasn't interested. She'd love to canoe sometime, just didn't want to go with all these people she'd never met. I am sure that had she known how cute some of my classmates' teenage sons are she'd have gone with me! lol

I think of all the reunion activities planned for that weekend, the canoe trip was my favorite. Many did not participate and what a fun day they missed!

There were a few along on the trip that had floated that portion of the Norfork River many times and knew all the cool places to stop and explore! At one point we all stopped our canoes on a large bank and pulled out our coolers and had a picnic.





As we all first headed down the Norfork. Those of us who didn't rent canoes put in at Blair Bridge (among many SNAKES!!!!), and we met up with the rest at Sunburst Ranch.






Don't scenes like this make you want to grab your paddle and come along??? Well you CAN!!!! After so much fun was had on this trip it has been decided our class is going to do this ANUALLY!!! Can't wait to see you all again next year!!!






Stacey and Melissa chillin' at one of our stops along the way.





Marty and I really enjoyed our first canoe trip together and are ready for another!







We paddled up this little creek that runs into the Norfork River, to take our group picture. I'm so glad there were some so familiar with this river and knew of places like this!




All of us, minus the kiddos, that attended the canoe trip. You all were a blast to float with! Thanks for one of the best times I've had!



Marty and I floated alongside Stacey and Melissa for much of the trip.







You have to DUCK under Patrick Bridge!!!




Near Patrick Bridge, we all stopped and hiked up a trail I had never been on and enjoyed the sites of Althea Springs and dam. Wow! That place was awesome but the water was so very cold! I got in the water and by the time I waded across my legs were so numb! Brrrrr!



What a beautiful place!!!! Thanks for showing it to us Kurt!






Behind the waterfall!




I magically emerged from behind the waterfall with dry hair!!!!



Scott parted the waters of the dam so we could come out from under it without being pummelled by COLD water! Thanks Scott!!!!




Marty and me above the dam






I just like this photo I snapped of Marty when I was above the dam:







Saying goodbye to those who had to take out farther down to return their canoes and kayaks.




Our awesome tour guides: Kurt and Tara. Thanks for showing us so many awesome places along the river and thanks Kurt for organizing this trip!




As always you can click on any picture to see it larger or to be taken to the site where ALL my canoe trip pictures are located!



1 comment:

Grace said...

You just had to mention snakes at Blair Bridge since we are planning on dropping tubes in there Saturday.Maybe we will just put in at Patrick and go from there lol.

Pages

Pages - Menu