Thursday, November 19, 2009

2009 Texas Renaissance Festival

Each year we try to find a day we can drive over to enjoy the Texas Renaissance Festival. This year we decided to go on my birthday. Heather had promised her friend Ryan a trip over there for his birthday as well. Heather's friend John is home for R&R from serving in Iraq and joined us for the day too.

Saturday morning found us at my mother in law's getting finishing touches put on my costume she so graciously made for me.






It is around a 3 hour drive from here to Plantersville, TX where the Renaissance Festival grounds are. As we stopped at Bucees on the interstate not far from home for a pit stop and gas I was hesitant to go inside in my costume. I knew if we were closer to Plantersville I would not seem an oddball, but still being a couple of hours from there was sure I'd be the only one in costume in the store. I had to laugh when I walked in the store and the first thing I spotted were 3 more Renaissance costume-clad folks! We all looked at each other and grinned as we walked past. It was obvious our destinations were the same!

Upon entering the grounds of the festival, this year there was no wench to kiss the mens' cheeks like there was last year. We were so hoping to surprise John and Ryan with that this year and I had my camera ready, but no such luck.



The grounds where the festival are held each year are beautiful and nestled in the trees in an area known as the Piney Woods.


There was so much to see and do. From the many shows to choose from.....












the tantalizing aromas of various foods.....

Heather would not cooperate this year and let anyone photograph her eating a turkey leg. To see it you'll have to visit last year's blog.




magnificent costumes....














...and even period craftsmen at work:


















We found a shopkeeper who let me try on one of her hand made costumes...AND take a picture in it. Most of the costume shops have signs everywhere that say "No Cameras!"







A trip to the Renaissance Festival is not complete without a ride on the swings:






By the end of the day we all felt like these folks:




Ryan, Heather and John:




We had a great time and what a fabulous way to spend my birthday! We are already planning next year's trip and have decided although we loved this trip, we enjoy even more going when they are having their Celtic Christmas after Thanksgiving. Next year should find us at the Renaissance Festival instead of shopping on the day after Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Ahh what great pictures! It sounds like ya'll had a great time! Happy Belated Birthday again!!

Pages

Pages - Menu